Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This recipe is from the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute. Cooking time is refrigeration time.
- 2 lbs halibut, thawed if necessary
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 10 peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- lemon slice, for garnish
- Remove skin and bones from halibut; cut into 1 inch pieces.
- In large saucepan, combine water, vinegar, wine, sugar, oil and seasonings.
- Bring to boil; simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Return to full boil; add halibut.
- Simmer gently 3 to 5 minutes or until halibut barely flakes when tested with a fork.
- Layer halibut, onion and thinly sliced lemon in 1-1/2 quart serving bowl; pour stock over all.
- Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Before serving, drain; garnish with parsley and lemon slices.