Posted by request. From the book "The Best-Ever Pastry Cookbook." Unusual take on apple pie, but perhaps the perfect solution for the crust-challenged.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel, core and dice apples.
- 2Place them in a saucepan with sugar and lemon zest.
- 3Drizzle the lemon juice over.
- 4Bring to a boil, stirring well and then cook for 5 minutes or until apples are soft.
- 5Stir in the golden raisins and cinnamon.
- 6Pour mixture into a 5 cup pie dish.
- 7Level top with a spoon and let cool.
- 8Preheat oven to 350F.
- 9Place a pie funnel in the center of the fruit.
- 10(alternately, insert several pieces of macaroni or penne pasta.) The function of this is to let the steam that builds up under your crust vent.
- 11Brush each sheet of phyllo with melted butter then scrunch up loosely and place over fruit to cover.
- 12Bake 20-30 minutes until crust is golden.
- 13Dust with powdered sugar and serve with custard or ice cream if desired.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Phyllo-Topped Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 200.4
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 90.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 28.4 g
- Protein 1.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of