Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Posted by request. From the book "The Best-Ever Pastry Cookbook." Unusual take on apple pie, but perhaps the perfect solution for the crust-challenged.
- 2 lbs baking apples
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (use the lemon you zested)
- 1⁄2 golden raisin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 sheets phyllo pastry, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- powdered sugar, to dust
- Peel, core and dice apples.
- Place them in a saucepan with sugar and lemon zest.
- Drizzle the lemon juice over.
- Bring to a boil, stirring well and then cook for 5 minutes or until apples are soft.
- Stir in the golden raisins and cinnamon.
- Pour mixture into a 5 cup pie dish.
- Level top with a spoon and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place a pie funnel in the center of the fruit.
- (alternately, insert several pieces of macaroni or penne pasta.) The function of this is to let the steam that builds up under your crust vent.
- Brush each sheet of phyllo with melted butter then scrunch up loosely and place over fruit to cover.
- Bake 20-30 minutes until crust is golden.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve with custard or ice cream if desired.