1/5 Photos of Pf Chang's Shrimp With Candied Walnuts
Sarah the Chef's Note:
A very close copy-cat of the restaurant's version. I've seen 3 variations of recipes for this dish on the internet. 1 tasted like mayo (YUCK), 1 was WAY too sweet, the other did not provide enough sauce and had too much of the spices. This seems to be a close as you can possibly get.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, slightly heaping
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric (maybe a dash more)
- 1 dash celery salt (do NOT put in very much)
- 1 lb shrimp, de-veined and shelled
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup oil (for frying)
The Finishing Touches
- 1 cup honey dew melon ball (or Cantaloupe if you prefer)
- 1The the walnuts:.
- 2Prepare a piece of parchment paper or lightly grease a baking sheet. Set aside.
- 3Combine water and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add in the walnuts, stirring constantly. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until thickened. Place the walnuts on the parchment paper or baking sheet. Separating them carefully. Allow them to cool fully.
- 4An alternative to this is to simply toss the walnuts in a skillet with some white sugar and heat over medium-high heat, tossing constantly until the sugar is melted and caramelized.
- 5For the sauce:.
- 6Whisk this together over a low heat until warm. You want a very pale yellow color, if the color is too pale, add a dash more tumeric. Remove from heat.
- 7The the shrimp:.
- 8Clean and dry shrimp well.
- 9Whisk egg whites lightly in a bowl, add the shrimp and coat well.
- 10Combine the flour and cornstarch. Dredge the shrimp.
- 11Fry shrimp in hot oil, 3-5 minutes until the breading is golden and the shrimp are pink. Fry only a couple shrimp at a time, transferring to a paper towel to drain. Continue until all the shrimp are cooked.
- 12Toss the shrimp and honey dew and/or cantaloupe melon balls in the warm sauce. Top with candied walnuts. Serve over rice!
Browse Our Top Chinese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chinese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pf Chang's Shrimp With Candied Walnuts
Serving Size: 1 (380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1199.5
- Calories from Fat 755
- Total Fat 83.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 150.3 mg
- Sodium 747.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 59.3 g
- Protein 26.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: