Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Taking a Simple and Delicious Recipe and trying to make it light.
- 16 ounces mostaccioli pasta
- 16 ounces chicken strips, grilled frozen
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shedded
- 16 ounces fat free sour cream
- 15 ounces skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup pesto sauce, prepared
- 2⁄3 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 1⁄4 cup light butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- Cook mostaccioli and chicken according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine cheddar cheese, sour cream, ricotta, pesto, half and half, and Parmesan cheese.
- Chop chicken and drain pasta.
- Add to cheese micture.
- Toss to coat.
- Transfer to two gresed 11X7 baking dishes (dishes will be full).
- Combine bread crumbs and butter. Sprinkle over top of casseroles.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 25-30 min or until heated through and golden brown.
My family really enjoyed this dinner because it was something different from the usual pasta with meat, cheese and tomato sauce recipes that are common on this site. I had the original recipe from TOH and combined a few of the ingredients plus my own changes to come up with a recipe that disappeared from everyone's plates. First, I cut the recipe in half to feed my family of five (2 adults, 3 kids). As far as ingredient changes go, I subbed penne for the mostaccioli (since I couldn't find any), fresh cooked chicken instead of precooked stuff, one cup cheddar cheese instead of two, fat free Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, fat free cottage cheese instead of ricotta, shredded parm instead of grated and topped it with about a half cup of shredded cheddar instead of breadcrumbs. I baked it for 25 minutes and then broiled for 5 to get the cheese a little crispy. My 2 year old cleaned his entire plate! Recipes like that come around once in a blue moon. Thank you for posting. This will definitely go into our regular rotation.
Very good! The texture ressembles ricotta but it was delicious! Loved the grilled chicken!