Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I like to add in a pinch of cayenne pepper and saffron also but that is optional, this is very good! :)
Top Review by petlover
Delicious Recipe and esay too. I left out the almonds because I didnt have any. I made this in my rice cooker as follows: 1. I melted 2 Tb of butter & 2 Tb light olive oil in a pan . 2. I sauted the chopped onions until translucent-over medium. 3. I added the chopped garlic and sauted about 1 min more. 4. I added the rice ( well rinsed), spices ( including the pinch or saffron and cayenne) and raisins and mixed well and sauted for another minute ( maybe a bit more) so that the rice/spice/onions/garlic/raisins all mixed together and the rice was sauted also. 5. I poured the mix into the rice cooker and added the chicken stock-I used about 2 3/4 cup of chicken stock-I find that the rice cooker uses less liquid. 6. I let the rice cooker cook in the white rice setting. Thanks KITTENCAL for another great recipe
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons turmeric (can use more to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat; add in onions and almonds, saute for 6-7 minutes or until the onion are tender and the almonds are golden, adding in the fresh garlic the last 2-3 minutes of sautéing.
- Stir in rice, raisins, turmeric, cinnamon, salt and broth; bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Season with black pepper.