I like to add in a pinch of cayenne pepper and saffron also but that is optional, this is very good! :)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons turmeric (can use more to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat; add in onions and almonds, saute for 6-7 minutes or until the onion are tender and the almonds are golden, adding in the fresh garlic the last 2-3 minutes of sautéing.
- Stir in rice, raisins, turmeric, cinnamon, salt and broth; bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Season with black pepper.