- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, cold cubed
- 8 tablespoons shortening, cold cubed
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place flour and salt in food processor. Pulse 2-3 seconds.
- Add butter and shortening to flour.
- Pulse until fat is reduced to tiny pieces.
- With motor running, drizzle ice water through feed tube.
- Process continuously until particles are moistened but NOT yet formed into a ball.
- Remove dough from bowl and shape into a ball.
- Divide in 2 flat disks.
- Cover each with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator at least 30 minutes before rolling.
- Makes 1 (9”) double crust or 2 (9”) single crust pies.
- It is essential the butter, shortening and water be ice cold.
- Use minimal amount of water and take care not to overprocess after adding it.
- Best if you form the ball, not the machine.
- Add sugar to the flour if you are making a sweet pie.
- Can be made by hand using a pastry cutter.