Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another fail proof pie recipe. It is from Canadian Living's Country Cooking book. It makes three 9-inch double crusts.
- 5 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄3 cups lard (454 g) or 2 1⁄3 cups shortening (454 g)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ice water
- In a large bowl, combine flour with salt. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in lard until mixture resembles fine crumbs with a few large pieces.
- In measuring cup and using fork, beat together egg and vinegar until well blended. Add enough ice water to make 1 cup.
- Stirring briskly with fork, gradually add just enough egg mixture, 1 tablespoons at a time, to a flour mixture to make dough hold together.
- Divide into 6 portions and press each into ball.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. (Dough can be refrigerated for up to 1 week, or frozen for up to 3 month).
- Let cold pastry stand 15 minutes at room temperature before rolling out.
- Makes enough for three 9 inch double crust.