Recipe by Ridgely
A different way to make Perfect Rice in the microwave. I didn't believe that it would cook till tender without being covered, boy was I wrong. From cookbook author Kathleen Daelemans.
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
I've struggeling to find a way to fix steamed rice other than the stove top or rice cooker since I've been here in Beijing. I stared at this one for the longest time trying to decide if I should try it. First done in the microwave (NEVER would have thought that) and then UNCOVERED!!! Oh man am I glad I decided to give it a try. The only thing I did differant was cut the amount in half, and then followed exact including the timing and it was perfect. Nice and fluffy and perfect. Thanks so much for posting and I can truthfully say this is my new way to make rice from now on.
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 3 1⁄2 cups water or 3 1⁄2 cups canned broth or 3 1⁄2 cups homemade stock
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients except salt in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Rice doubles in size during cooking so choose a container large enough to accommodate final product.
- Microwave uncovered on high for 10 minutes.
- Then microwave uncovered on medium-low for 15 minutes.
- Do not stir rice at anytime during cooking process.
- Season with salt and fluff with a fork before serving.