Recipe by reesespieces416
This recipe is very delicious and from Germany. It is also very simple to make try it and you'll make it again!
Top Review by Cooking for Pleasure
We really liked the topping on this cake and the fact that it was a yeast risen cake was very interesting. the cake did need a little more sugar & the vanilla bean was kind of a waste as you could hardly taste it over the yeast, I would suggest a combination of vanilla bean and extract in the cake.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 vanilla bean (split)
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 3 large sized eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 softened unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup ground walnuts (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup ground almonds (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
- (Mixture 1) In a small bowl combine the yeast,1 tablespoon of the sugar, and the warm water.
- Set aside mixture 1 for 15 minutes or until bubbles appear.
- (Mixture 2) In a small bowl combine the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, salt, and butter.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan. Add vanilla bean and pour into Mixture 2.
- Let Mixture 2 sit until lukewarm.
- Stir in Mixture 1 and add lemon zest.
- Add eggs 1 at a time beating well after each addition.
- Fold in flour a little at a time.
- Beat dough until smooth.
- Spread dough onto prepared pan and cover loosely with a tea towel and set aside in a warm place for 30-45 minutes.
- Let rise.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- For topping:.
- Cream butter, sugar, and light brown sugar until fluffy stir in the vanilla, the cinnamon, and the nuts (nuts are optional).
- Drop spoonfuls of the topping onto the dough.
- Bake cake for 35 minutes or until top is golden.
- Allow cake to completely cool IN PAN.
- Cut into slices and serve with butter.