Recipe by QueenBof6
Promise me you will try this one!!! I guarantee a moist, slightly sweet, NOT crumbly corn bread, with NO bitter after taste. I have tried so many corn bread recipes my family is sick of trying them. I have created this recipe from my trials. I like my corn bread to have a nice corn flavor, to be moist and not crumble, and I like it a little sweet. I also DON'T like the bitter after taste so many corn breads have. Give it a shot, you won't regret it!
Top Review by newmama
This is great for us! I like a sweet moist cornbread. I made some changes- scant 1/2 cup sugar, 4 tbs melted butter, 3/4 cup buttermilk 1/3 cup water (ran out of milk, but this was fine!) and 3 tsp baking soda. I also used and 8x8 and baked at 375 for 30 minutes, but will try the 400 next time. this will be my go-to cornbread!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, less if preferred
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into a greased 9-10 inch dish about 2 inches deep, I use a 10 inch cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 18-23 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- DO NOT OVER BAKE! This causes it to crumble. I bake mine just until it starts to crack, 20 minutes.
- You can also make these in corn stick pans, bake for 12 to 18 minutes.