Recipe by Gingerbee
Bored with that steak dinner or roastbeef? Spike it up with these delicious caramelized onions that are so so good even on your burger. Fast and freshly made or frozen for that special occassion when time is of the essence..try this nice change to plain brown gravy..you won't be sorry ;)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil (canola)
- 4 large white onions (thick sliced)
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown food coloring (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Over medium heat, heat skillet before placing in butter and oil.
- Add onion, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and sugar.
- Cook uncovered over medium heat, moving the onions around, until onions begin to get browned; approx.
- 8-10 minutes.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low and cook for an additional 13-15 minutes.
- The onions will sweat down and be glossy and soft.
- *(At this point for visual affects, I add 1/2 tsp. Gravy Master or Kitchen Bouquet) to give it a rich brown color.
- Can be made in advance; freezes very well for the next Sunday roastbeef dinner.
- Serve with hamburgers, roasts or steaks.