Recipe by * Pamela *
Great for Christmas Bake Exchanges! From Parents Magazine December 2003.
Top Review by sheepdoc
I made these as written except at 350 for 12 minutes. 4 candy canes looked like about the right amount. Did not get to putting in sugar when really hot - maybe 10 minutes. Probably could roll in powdered sugar again now that they are cold. I thought they would need extra peppermint extract but I didn't have any and they turned out great. Made 60 cookies. Half a cookie scoop size.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄4 cup candy cane, crushed
- 12 -15 drops red food coloring
- icing sugar, for rolling
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°F
- In large bowl, with mixer on high, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in vanilla and salt. Reduce mixer speed to low, and beat in flour (dough will be very dry). Beat in oats, crushed candy canes, and 12-15 drops of red food coloring. Shape heaping teaspoons of dough into balls, place on ungreased baking sheets 1/2 inch apart, and bake 15 to 18 minutes per batch.
- Place icing sugar in large bowl. Roll hot cookies in sugar, let cool completely, and repeat.