Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is just a twist on a traditional divinity. A couple of tips I'd like to give are, don't make this in humid weather it will not set. Another tip is, make sure to stop mixing as the gloss on the candy goes away. Lastly, an ice pack aroound the bottom of the mixing bowls speeds up the mixing process and saves your mixer some torture. You will be very surprised by how many people get excited when you show up with divinity.
- In a large (about 1 gallon) pot mix together the sugar, salt, water and corn syrup.
- Cook to a boil and 250 degrees or hard ball stage. You can stir as it somes to a boil of just once in awhile as it comes to a boil. I've never had a problem doing it either way.
- While this mixture is boiling beat the egg whites to stiff peaks in your mixer.
- When your boiling sugar mixture is ready very very slowly pour and mix it into the egg mixture in a slow stream on medium speed until it is all inches.
- Let this mix for two mintues and then bring the speed down to slow and add it the extract and food coloring.
- Continue mixing and a medium high speed until the candy starts to lose it's gloss and thicken up.
- Turn off mixer and drop spoonfuls onto wax paper or a greased surface.