From Country Living. I made my first divinity this Christmas and can't wait to make more. This Peppermint version sounds like a good option for that second try. Note: Have everything ready before you start because once the candy reaches temperature it will immediately begin to harden.
- Ready In:
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 6 drops red food coloring
- Oil a 9x9 inch pan and a spoon and set aside.
- Combine the sugar and corn syrup in a medium saucepan with 3/4 cup water and cook over medium heat until the mixture reaches 260 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 20 minutes.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks in a large bowl using an electric mixer set on medium-high speed.
- Reduce speed to medium and slowly pour the sugar mixture into the egg whites.
- Add the peppermint and continue to beat until the mixture is very thick and fluffy, about 12 minutes.
- Immediately transfer to the prepared pan and smooth using the back of teh oiled spoon.
- Dot the Divinity surface with red food coloring and drag a skewer through to create a marbled effect.
- Let stand at room temperature until firm, about 2 hours. Slice into 1-inch squares.