Prep 25 mins
Cook 24 hrs
For those who love the unique mix of peppermint and chocolate!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon peppermint oil
- 1 lb semisweet chocolate, chopped into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon paraffin wax
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the first five ingredients and cook slowly and stirring constantly until sugar completely dissolves.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover with lid and let it cook for 3 minutes- DO NOT STIR.
- Remove the lid and cook without stirring until it reaches 234 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- Remove pan from heat and let cool for several minutes.
- Beat mixture until creamy.
- Add peppermint oil and beat until thoroughly mixed.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper, then let them set in refrigerator (best at 24 hours).
- When the peppermint mixture is ready for dipping, in top of a double-broiler, melt the semi-sweet chocolate, vegetable oil and paraffin, stirring constantly until smooth and creamy.
- Remove the pan from heat and let mixture cool to 90 degrees F on candy thermometer.
- Start to dip the peppermint creams into the chocolate mixture, then replace on waxed paper.
- Mixture should be approximately 90 degrees F during the entire dipping process.
- If mixture thickens before you finish, return to pan to heat and bring back to 90 degrees F.
- When chocolate has set, refrigerate peppermint creams in an airtight container.