Recipe by Dawn
My husband and I were at a wedding reception at a very posh country club. He was served the most marvelous fillet mignon there, I opted for the chicken. It was my mission then to find this recipe and make a duplicate. He only allowed me a bite of steak the size of a grape with a small amount of sauce on it (and that was grudgingly). The last place I thought I would find a good steak recipe was Cooking Light, but there it was! Now when we need to impress, we serve this recipe. It tastes like a dish you'd be served at a five-star Hotel.
Top Review by A Cheap Bon Vivant
Dawn, I signed up just to tell you how great this recipe is. It's the best and one of the easiet filet mignon recipes I've ever made. I was hesitate to try it without a grill to cook the meat on since that's about the only way I like my steaks cooked. Only thing I changed was I added a 2x more tomato paste - only because I like tomato-ey flavors, briefly cooked a little minced garlic with the steaks, then quickly removed the garlic and added to the sauce (before it burned), and added some steak drippings - I used olive oil and butter -to the sauce when the steaks were done. Awesomely good. Thanks for sharing. I hope you'll post more of your recipes.
- 4 filet mignon steaks, 1 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
Wine Mushroom Sauce
- 3 ounces chopped shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 cup shallot (minced)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup red wine (I used Merlot, my favorite)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Mushroom wine Sauce first and set aside: Combine Mushrooms and flour in a bowl and toss to coat and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, combine wine, shallots, and balsamic vinegar.
- Bring to a boil and cook until thickened.
- Reduce heat.
- Add broth, Worcestershire, tomato paste, and rosemary, stir to combine and cook 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and cook 3 minutes, until mushrooms are tender.
- Stir in mustard.
- Serve sauce over Filet Mignon.
- Fillet Mignon: Sprinkle steak with crushed black pepper and salt.
- Heat a non stick skillet over medium high heat or grill over a medium heat.
- Cook steaks for 3-5 minutes on each side until fillet is cooked the way you like it.
- Serve with sauce.