Recipe by DeniseBC
I got this basic recipe from Dec 2010/Jan 2011 Simple and Delicious magazine. It was submitted by Sarah Gilbert of Beaverton, Oregon. I doubled her original recipe and made a few changes based on what I had on hand and it was delicious! If all pepper Jack cheese seems too spicy for you, it would be good with 1/2 pepper Jack and 1/2 Monterey Jack, I think.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 5 slices center-cut bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms (break them up some if they are large slices)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 8 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded (mine was hard to shred-I think cubed or thinly sliced would work as well)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 3/4 t. of drippings.
- In the same skillet, saute onion and mushrooms in drippings and butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cheese, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until the cheese is melted.
- Drain macaroni; stir macaroni and bacon into sauce mixture and serve.