Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Found on the internet. Posted for ZWT6.
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat molasses in small saucepan to boiling point.
- Boil 1 minute.
- Add sugar and butter and stir until butter is melted.
- Beat in egg.
- Sift together flour, salt, soda and spices.
- Add to first mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Cover bowl tightly and chill overnight.
- Roll out a portion of the dough at a time on lightly floured pastry cloth.
- Roll out thin.
- Cut into desired shapes.
- Bake in a moderate oven (350F) 6 to 8 minutes.
- The dough may be shaped into a roll and wrapped in waxed paper.
- Chill thoroughly overnight or longer.
- Slice thin and bake in moderate oven (350F).
- These should be stored in an air-tight container - allow flavor to "ripen".
Oh my how wonderful these are! Thin, crisp, and full of flavor! I made the dough yesterday morning, covered and refrigerated until this morning. My dough was more like a really thick batter. I scooped a small amount of dough at a time onto my floured surface and worked quickly. When the dough gets warm it is not very easy to work with. I would recommend taking out a small amount and leaving the rest in the fridge. I baked the cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment for about 7 minutes. I gathered up the scraps I had after cutting out the rounds and as suggested in the alternate directions below, I rolled into a log, wrapped in plastic wrap and put it back in the fridge for later today. Those I will just slice and bake. Thanks for sharing, definitely worth the wait :) Made for Scandinavian region of ZWT 6.
I made these for part of a homeschool study on Sweden. They are absolutely delicious! I used honey in place of the molasses since we are out of it. We like a lot of spice, so I increased the ginger to 2 teaspoons and the cinnamon to 1 teaspoon. I also substituted part whole wheat flour for the all purpose flour. These make great cookies/sweet crackers and I will be making them again. Thanks! Alida
Great flavor!! So good with coffee! Made for ZWT6 and the Looney Spoon Phoodies.