Swedish Ginger Cookies With Crystallized Ginger
photo by Dreamer in Ontario
- Ready In:
3 dozen cookies
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses.
- Sift together flour, salt, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and baking soda. Stir into batter. Stir in crystallized ginger. The batter will be thick. Roll into 1-inch (2.5cm) balls. Place granulated sugar on a plate. Dip balls into sugar. Place sugar-side up on cookie sheet about 3 inches (8cm) apart, as the cookies tend to spread when baking. Keep dough refrigerated between batches.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cracked on top, slightly firm to the touch and a golden colour. They will soften and crisp up as they cool. Cool on wire racks.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Just made these. I'm not an expert baker, yet they came out fantastic! My husband's always looking for the most gingery cookies with ginger bits in it (the kind his ex-girlfriend's mom used to make >:( But now... I think I beat her LOL. Didn't have any butter so I used margarine. Cookies came out to be 1cm thick (don't know if that's fluffy or flat). I used a small cookie scooper thingy and I made 70 cookies. I baked them for 10 minutes each sheet and they're chewy. They are not overly sweet, but still quite sweet, with a perfect ginger kick. I LOVE THIS RECIPE. Oh ... took me 45 minutes from turning on the oven, to finding what I needed, all the way to having them cool on the sheets. Quick, easy, yummy. I'm a true chocolate lover, but ate 4 cookies while typing this review.
OMG, these are so good. We really enjoyed this treat, they were perfection, sweet and spicy. These tasty cookies were quick and really easy to make. The end result is out of this world good. I am wishing that I would have made another batch, maybe tomorrow. Made exactly as written, I wouldn't change a thing. The cookies were crisp yet chewy. The children ate them up just as quickly as the adults did. Kudos on your wonderful recipe and for making me look like a star. Made for Sweet Dreams 2013.
This recipe was pretty good, and fairly easy as well. I underbaked my cookies by 2 minutes and they were perfectly chewy, even a week later! my only complaint is the crystallized ginger. I felt this made them too "gingery", almost soap tasting. Next time i make this recipe i will omit the crystallized ginger and only use the powdered ginger. this is just my personal preference though, everyone else who tasted the cookies thought they were the best gingersnaps ever! :)