1/1 Photo of Pepparkakor (Gingerbread Cookies) - Vete- Katten Bakery, Sweden
1 hr 32 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Published in Saveur magazine, December 2009. The Vete-Katten bakery in Stockholm has been in business for 80 years. This Swedish Gingerbread Cookie does not contain molasses. The cookies can be served plain or decorated with icing.
My Private Note
dozen c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves (3 teaspoons)
- 3 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup golden syrup (British) or 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, and baking soda; set aside. In another large bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar, and golden syrup using a handheld mixer set to medium speed until the mixture is pale and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Add the reserved spice mixture and the heavy cream in three alternating batches, beginning and ending with the spice mixture, until the dough just combines. Transfer dough to a work surface, divide in half, and shape each ealf into a flat disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2Heat oven to 350°F Unwrap 1 disk of dough and place on a floured work surface. using a rolling pin, roll dough to a 1/8" thickness. Cut out cookies using the cookie cutters of your choice and place cookies 2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough, rerolling scraps. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes. Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until browned and set, about 12 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
- 4Whisk together confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, and egg white in a medium bowl until smooth. Transfer to piping bag; pipe icing onto cookies in a decorative pattern.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pepparkakor (Gingerbread Cookies) - Vete- Katten Bakery, Sweden
Serving Size: 1 (29 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 115.8
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 10.3 mg
- Sodium 39.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 1.1 g