Recipe by swissms
Published in Saveur magazine, December 2009. The Vete-Katten bakery in Stockholm has been in business for 80 years. This Swedish Gingerbread Cookie does not contain molasses. The cookies can be served plain or decorated with icing.
Top Review by adeles
My mom always made pepparkakor for Christmas, but alas when I tried to follow suit, it was always with huge frustration...rolling them out was a first class nightmare. so many thanks swissms for posting this. they rolled out nice and thin without cracking or sticking and taste divine!
- 3 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves (3 teaspoons)
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup golden syrup (British) or 1⁄2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, and baking soda; set aside. In another large bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar, and golden syrup using a handheld mixer set to medium speed until the mixture is pale and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Add the reserved spice mixture and the heavy cream in three alternating batches, beginning and ending with the spice mixture, until the dough just combines. Transfer dough to a work surface, divide in half, and shape each ealf into a flat disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350°F Unwrap 1 disk of dough and place on a floured work surface. using a rolling pin, roll dough to a 1/8" thickness. Cut out cookies using the cookie cutters of your choice and place cookies 2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough, rerolling scraps. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes. Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until browned and set, about 12 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
- Whisk together confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, and egg white in a medium bowl until smooth. Transfer to piping bag; pipe icing onto cookies in a decorative pattern.