From my falling apart cookbook entitled Best-Loved Pennsylvania Dutch Recipes. Simple ingredients, easy assembly and spectacular presentation. When pressed for time, I have been known to substitute canned apple pie filling. This also works well for Cherry Crumb Pie by using canned cherry filling plus 1/4 teaspoon almond extract. A lifetime ago, on holidays, I was not allowed to enter my ex-inlaws house unless I had a Cherry Crumb Pie in my hands! ;) NOTE: If you use canned filling, just bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees or until topping is brown.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and set butter out so it will be at room temperature.
- Line 9" pie pan with unbaked crust.
- Core and slice apples.
- Sprinkle the apples with the lemon juice.
- Mix in the sugar & cinnamon.
- Fill pie shell with apple mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix the topping's flour, sugar and cinnamon.
- Rub the topping ingredients and butter together with your fingers until the mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping over pie.
- Bake 10 minutes at 425 degrees then reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake until crumb topping is browned and apples are soft, approximately 50 minutes.