Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a nice recipe for when you are in the mood for marinara, yet want something a little different. This does make a lot of sauce - we like that, but if you don't you might want to add more pasta. When I made this I used whole wheat rontini instead of penne, and I increased the red pepper flakes. From Cooking Light (March 2001).
- cooking spray
- 354.88 ml onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 473.18 ml roasted red peppers, coarsely chopped
- 14.79 ml dried basil
- 3.69 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 1.23 ml salt
- 2 (822.13 g) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 709.77 ml uncooked penne (cooked according to package to make about 6 cups)
- Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic; sauté for 6 minutes or until tender.
- Add bell peppers and the next 5 ingredients (bell peppers through tomatoes); bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in oil.
- Serve over pasta.