Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is really good! I like pasta, but it seems like such a heavy meal sometimes. Even my DH liked it and he is not a big pasta fan. This is from Self magazine Sept 2007. Per serving: 524 calories, 7.3g fat (1.2 saturated) 77.5 carbs, 10.3g fiber
- 12 ounces whole wheat penne
- vegetable oil cooking spray or olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 14 ounces lean ground turkey
- 2 1⁄4 cups marinara sauce (use something with herbs as this will be your only source of spice or however you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta as it says on your package.
- Using a little vegetable oil or olive oil, pour a little in a large separate skillet and use medium-low heat. Cook the onion and pepper until tender not too crunchy, about 7 minutes.
- Turn up the heat to medium and add turkey. Cook for 8 minutes or until it is browned all the way through.
- Add marinara sauce and reduce heat to simmer. Do this for about 6 minutes for all the flavors to blend together.
- Put pasta in bowls and top with meat sauce and sprinkle Parmesan on top. Enjoy!
This healthy recipe is so quick and easy for a weeknight meal. Turkey is so mild tasting, that it really benefits from a tasty marinara sauce as hojo states. I also added some red pepper flakes and fresh basil, and browned the turkey with minced garlic to perk up the flavor. Thanks for sharing this one hojo!