Bev. E.'s Note:
This recipe was in Eating Well. It is very tasty and I wanted to share.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces center-cut reduced-fat bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 8 cups swiss chard, stemmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne or 8 ounces rigatoni pasta or 8 ounces fusilli
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil for cooking the pasta.
- 2Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until crisp, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 3Transfer to a paper towel.
- 4Pour off fat and add onion to the pan; cook, stirring often, until softened and golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5Add garlic, and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring for 30 seconds.
- 6Return the bacon to the pan and add broth and squash; bring to a simmer.
- 7Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- 8Add chard and stir to immerse.
- 9Cover and cook until the squash and chard are tender, about 5 minutes.
- 10Meanwhile, cook pasta until tender, 8-10 minutes or according to package directions.
- 11Drain and return to the pot.
- 12Add the squash mixture.
- 13Parmesan, salt and pepper; toss to coat.
- 14Serve immediately.
- 15For vegetarian variation: Substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth and 4 ounces cubed smoked tofu for the bacon.
- 16Step 2, heat 2 tsp olive oil in skillet.
- 17Add tofu and cook, stirring until lightly browned, 3-5 minute.
- 18Transfer to plate.
- 19Add onion to pan and continue with the recipe.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne With Braised Squash & Greens
Serving Size: 1 (388 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.6
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 11.0 mg
- Sodium 527.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 17.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: