Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
This is an excellent pasta dish to be served with any chicken dishes.
Top Review by sweetatforty
used lemon juice instead of rind, mozzarella with dry parmesion , no zuchini ... everything else was exact and it was great. cant wait to do it again with zuchini and squash. yum! thank you.
- 8 ounces penne pasta, dry
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped small
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Add broccoli for the last 2 minutes of cooking pasta.
- Drain well and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, add olive oil, garlic, onion and mushrooms and saute' for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Now add sliced zucchini and continue to saute' for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken broth, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium, add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in spinach and lemon rind; cook covered for 2 minutes or until spinach is tender.
- When done, add cooked mixture to pasta/broccoli and toss to coat well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately.