Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe came from a fund-raising cookbook our neighborhood put together. It's very flavorful. Freezes well.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 (28 ounce) cans plum tomatoes, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground red pepper (Make SURE it's GROUND)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated havarti cheese
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- Heat 3 Tbsp oil in pan.
- Saute onion and garlic.
- Mix in tomatoes, basil and ground red pepper.
- Bring to a boil, breaking up tomatoes.
- Add broth and boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 1 hour.
- (Can make this much ahead.) Cook pasta and drain.
- Toss with 3 Tbsp oil.
- Mix pasta with sauce and then mix in Havarti cheese.
- Put into 9x13 baking dish and sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in 375 oven about 30 minutes.
- ½ of this recipe will easily serve 4.
This is a great make ahead dish. I prepared the sauce in the morning using fresh basil out of my herb garden. The sauce is outstanding and goes great with the pasta and cheese. A wonderful meal that will be making repeat performances at our table! Thanks so much MrsEl, for another wonderful dish. :-)
It came out delightful.Only change that i made was i added the italian cheese blend.
Loved the recipe! I agree...don't skimp on the cheese. My tomatoes wouldn't chop up very well so I used a potato masher and it did a great job.