Recipe by Thorsten
Pasta and sardines baked in the oven are wonderful. The salty flavours of the sardines go so well together with the pasta, feta cheese and that bit of cream. Rich and full of flavours. For this recipe you can use sardines fillets, but you can also use whole fish. Sometimes, when I'm too lazy, I use the whole fish for this recipe and serve it that way. Every guest can take as many as he wants. And it is a lot of fun. Brings back memories of Italia, sitting in one of those little fish restaurants and enjoying fresh fish. For this recipe you should always use fresh fish. Serve it with some bread and a glass of a dry white white wine.
- 1 lb sardines (fillets or head, gut and scales removed)
- 1⁄2 lb penne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 2 ounces feta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper, to tase
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven (390 F, 200 C).
- Cook Penne according to package directions, but only until hardly al dente.
- Meanwhile put 1 tablespoon of olive oil in an oven proof dish.
- Salt and pepper sardines to taste and arrange them in a single layer in the dish.
- Combine cream, tomato puree and thyme leaves. Salt and pepper to taste.
- When pasta are cooked drain them (but do not rinse them) and arrange them over the fish.
- Spread the cream-tomato mixture evenly over pasta. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Crumble feta cheese over the sauce. Place butter in little pieces on top and put in the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Serve hot.
- NOTE: if you like it a bit more saucy use 3/4 cup of cream and 2 tablespoons of tomato puree.