Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A world famous dish that is really simple to cook. I have included directions on how to serve this traditional dish. You need to start this dish the day before you plan to eat it.
- 3 -4 lbs duck
- 1 teaspoon malt sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup plum sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red bean paste or 1⁄2 cup hoisin sauce
- 10 scallions, trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and cut lengthwise into thin strips about 2 inches long
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup boiling water
- vegetable oil or sesame oil
- The *malt sugar called for in this recipe resembles honey.
- This and the other Oriental condiments are available in Oriental food stores.
- Clean the duck and place in a basin.
- Boil a large kettle of water and pour it over the duck, dousing it thoroughly.
- Remove the bird immediately and dry it inside and out with a paper towel.
- Hang it by the neck overnight in an airy place.
- Dissolve the malt sugar in the soy sauce and rub the duck with this mixture.
- When this coating has dried, place the duck on a wire rack in a roasting pan and put it in an oven, preheated to 375°F to roast for 1 hour.
- Do not baste the duck or open the oven door.
- While the duck is roasting, make the pancakes.
- Put the flour in a bowl and gradually add the boiling water.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon, but do not knead the dough.
- Cover with a cloth and leave stand for 20 minutes.
- Form the dough into a long roll about 2 inches in diameter.
- Cut off 1/2 inch rounds from the roll.
- Roll the rounds into balls and flatten them into round cakes 1/4 inch thick.
- When you have used up the dough, dust each cake with flour and roll it out into a paper thin pancake.
- Lightly brush a heavy skillet with oil, and cook the pancakes over low heat for 1 1/4 minutes on each side.
- They are ready when parts of the pancakes start to curl and bubble slightly.
- Stack the cooked pancakes and cover with a damp cloth until required.
- To serve the duck, first slice off the crisp skin in 1-2 inch squares and then slice off the meat.
- Place the skin and the meat on two separate warmed dishes and bring to the table.
- The plum sauce, the bean paste, the scallions and the cucumber strips should all be laid out in separate small dishes.
- Spread a spoonful of sauce on each pancake, lay strips of cucumber and scallions down the center, add duck skin and meat, and roll up the pancake.
- After the duck carcass has been stripped of its meat, it is usually boiled with a large amount of cabbage and traditionally served as a soup to end the meal.