Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Vegan meat balls that are an excellent substitute for the real thing!
Make and share this Pecan Nut "meat" Balls recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 organic vegetable bouillon cubes
- 4 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- Saute onion and celery in oil.
- Dissolve bouillon cubes in 1 cup boiling water.
- Toss all dry ingredients together.
- Add onion, celery and vegetable broth to dry mixture and mix well.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Form into balls.
- Bake on well greased cookie sheet for 15 minutes at 350°F.
- Serve with your favorite tomatoe sauce or brown gravy.
These were tasty but a little bit dry and crumbly. They were easy to throw together and made a nice accompaniment to whole wheat rotini with fresh pesto. I halved the recipe but still had a LOT leftover. The leftovers made good snacks. I replaced the bread crumbs with quick oats and used walnuts instead of pecans. I didn't have any bouillon on hand so I omitted it and doubled the soy sauce. I added some garlic powder and crushed red pepper for extra flavor. This is a good, versatile recipe. I think it just needs more wet ingredients.