Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Absolutely savory Indian comfort food. A take on Alu matar, but I have omitted the potatoes.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 inches piece ginger
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder (crushed or powdered) (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more if u like spicy)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 large tomatoes, course chopped
- 1 cup peas (frozen or fresh)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- In a blender or food processor, mince onion garlic and ginger.
- Over medium heat warm oil in a skillet.
- Add asafoetida and cumin.
- Let spices darken (2seconds).
- Add blended onion mixture and cook until browned (12minutes).
- Add salt, cayenne, tumeric, garam masala & tomatoes and cook until softened (5minutes).
- Add peas and water, reduce heat to low and cover.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with rice.