Prep time does not include cooking the rice.
Make and share this Peas and Rice Salad With Buttermilk Dressing recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice, not instant
- 1 ounce mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (I used white)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- In a food processor, combine dressing ingredients and whiz until blended.
- In a saucepan, combine rice with 1 cup water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until tender (30-40 minutes).
- In a bowl, combine vegetables, rice and cheese.
- Toss with dressing.
- Chill before serving.
This was a nice-tasting salad but there were some problems. First of all, I didn't know if I was supposed to cook the peas or just thaw them and use them raw. I did cook them cause I didn't like the idea of eating thawed, frozen peas - if they had been fresh, I might have left them raw. Secondly, there is no way the recipe will make 8 servings as written, I'd say more like 4, and not very generous ones at that. Finally, I added an entire stalk of celery, 1/2 a stalk seemed a 'poor' amount and I think a sharper-tasting cheese would have been more interesting as the mozzarella was too bland to really contribute to the recipe and was just there for 'chew' factor. The dressing was right on, with just the right amount of sweetness. I will definitely make this again as it is a good base recipe and I think I would add a bit of chopped ham to it and make it a main-course salad next time. Good recipe.
This salad has a nice crunchy chewy texture. There was something about the dressing that left me not enjoying it as much as I thought I would.
Very easy and tasty salad. The variety of colours in the ingredients make for a pretty presentation. The flavour improves after the salad has been refrigerated for a few hours, so if I make this again I would plan the extra time for this. Good luck in the contest!