Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I've never had pear bread before! From "Simply Delicious"- Herberger's Employee Family Recipes. Submitted by Charlotte Hren-Olson of Minneapolis, Minnesota (where my mom grew up!)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup pear, diced
- Cream shortening and brown sugar.
- Add honey, grated lemon peel, lemon juice, water and egg; mix well.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to liquid mixture- Stir until moistened.
- Fold in nuts and diced pears.
- Turn into a greased 9x5x3 loaf pan and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
this was really moist with a light flavor. i didn't have any honey and i'm allergic to cinnamon so i substituted light corn syrup and nutmeg for them both. the results were delicious and i'm going to be making this often. thanks bec :).
This a delicious and moist bread that is also healthy. I am amazed that so little oil was used and yet it came out so well. I used all whole wheat flour and it made it even healthier. thanks for the great recipe. I will be using it every fall