Recipe by Jean #7
This is similar to Indonesian Chicken, Peanut Butter Sauce (Slow Cooker), but the ingredients are slightly different. This is adapted from a recipe found on the web some time ago. I have a friend who inhales it whenever I make it.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (more if small)
- 1 cup chunky salsa (you choose the 'heat')
- 1⁄3 cup chunky peanut butter (or smooth with 1 tbsp chopped peanuts)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped roasted peanuts (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a crock pot, mix all ingredients, stirring to coat chicken.
- Cook on low 8-9 hours.
- Serve on rice, sprinkling chopped peanuts on each serving.
- This is good with coleslaw or a green vegetable.
- The original recipe had 1/2 tsp salt which I omitted as the soy and salsa have enough salt.
- Both hot and medium salsa have worked for me. Smooth salsa also works but a chopped, peeled tomato improves the texture.
- I use unsalted peanuts. Because of the salsa and soy, this dish already has more than enough salt.
- 1 tsp powdered ginger instead of the ginger root worked just fine.
- I squeezed this into my 2 qt crock pot, cooked it on high until simmering and then turned it down. A larger pot would be easier.