Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
These sound wonderful!! Posted by request, From Reader's Digest.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Peanut butter Swirl
- 1⁄3 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup light cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8 inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, using a fork, stir flour with cocoa, salt, and baking powder until no cocoa lumps remain.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in sugar, then egg, egg whites, and vanilla until combined.
- Stir in flour mixture just until blended.
- Turn about 2/3 of the batter into prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Spoon dollops of remaining brownie batter over toop.
- Do not smooth out.
- In a medium bowl, beat peanut butter with cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in brown sugar then egg white until bleded.
- Drop by spoonfuls in between chocolate batter spoonfuls.
- Using a thin bladed knife, draw the tip through the two batters to create a marbled effect.
- Continue to do so until the batter is fairly level on top.
- Bake in preheated oven until the centre of the brownie appears set and the sides just start to pull away from the pan, about 28 to 30 minutes.
- Cool brownies in pan on a rack before cutting into squares.
At a 20-minute baking time, these brownies came out too dry. Good peanut-butter taste, but no gooey/gummy brownie texture.
Okay, this one's gonna be a favorite! I made some changes, based on a previous review. I used 2 whole eggs instead of 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites. For the peanut butter part, I didn't have any cream cheese, so I just blended the peanut butter with 1/4 c. marshmallow cream (leaving out the rest of the ingredients) and used that for the peanut butter part. I also cut the baking time to 25 minutes and tested it to be sure it was done. The brownies I made turned out very moist and fudgy!!