Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a recipe that has been in my family for awhile.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter, peanut butter and sugar.
- Add egg and beat well.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add them alternately with applesauce.
- Stir until smooth.
- Line a 8x8x2" pan with wax paper.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake about 40 minutes or until done.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes then turn cake out onto a cooling rack. Peel off wax paper.
great texture---reminiscent of that spice cake from the old elementary cafeteria 20+ yrs ago. Tried the honey pb glaze recommended and it did get gummy. However, I used a reduced -fat PB---definate keeper, plan to leave unfrosted next time, make as cupcakes and serve with homemade applebutter.
I made this to send to my son in college, since it is the perfect size, being just one layer. I baked it in a disposable aluminum pan, so I could wrap it in foil and ship it in the same pan. I did not taste it, but He loved it!
This is comfort food at its finest! The peanut butter and applesauce blend so harmoniously - the whole is greater than the sum of its parts in this recipe. I as well used the peanut butter glaze mentioned by the other reviewers, and it was delicious, although it would be fantastic without it too - the cake stands just fine on its own. I cooked it for the full 40 minutes and it still could have used a few more extra minutes. Highly recommended!