Recipe by Lainey39
This is a delicious dessert for when peaches are in season. To pick a perfect peach, look for a creamy yellow undercolor. The red or "blush" of a peach indicates variety, not ripeness. It should be sweetly fragrant. Recipe from Woman's Day.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut in bits
- 1⁄2 cup canned sweet potato puree
- 2⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream, plus
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 6 sprigs fresh lemon thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 large white peaches, halved, pitted, cut in 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy whipping cream
- lemon fresh thyme sprig, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick foil.
- You will also need a 2 3/4 inch biscuit cutter.
- For shortcakes, mix flour, baking powder, 2 T sugar, the salt and nutmeg in large bowl.
- Add butter, cut in with a pastry blender until coarse crumbs form.
- Add sweet potato puree, then pour 2/3 cup cream over top; stir with fork until a soft dough forms.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead gently 1 or 2 times.
- With floured rolling pin, roll out dough to 3/4 inch thick.
- Cut 12 rounds with floured cutter.
- Reroll; cut scraps.
- Transfer to a prepared baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Brush tops with 2 T cream; dust with sugar.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on rack.
- For filling, gently boil sugar, water, thyme sprigs and lemon juice in a small saucepan 10 minutes or until syrup turns pale golden.
- Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
- Discard thyme sprigs; stir in peach wedges.
- Cool to room temperature.
- To assemble, beat the 1 1/4 cups cream with 2 T of the peach syrup until stiff, billowy peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- Split shortcakes horizontally; place 1 bottom on each serving plate.
- Spoon on peach mixture; top with whipped cream.
- Replace shortcake tops.