Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious bread pudding for tonight's dessert!
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups stale bread, cubes
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 lemon, juice and rind of, grated
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- peach halves in syrup, drained
- Pour milk over bread cubes.
- Beat egg yolks with 1/2 cup sugar, salt and nutmeg; add lemon rind, juice and melted butter.
- Pour mixture over bread and milk.
- Mix and pour into well-greased 9-x9-x2-inch baking dish.
- Place dish in a pan of hot water.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff.
- Remove pudding from oven and spread meringue on top.
- Place peach halves over meringue, closse to rim.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes to brown meringue.
- Serve warm.
- Makes 6 servings.