This muffin is simple, flavorful, and moist. Using whole wheat pastry flour and oats also make them a fairly healthy start to the day. If you substitute blueberries for the peaches add a 1/4 tsp of cloves. I like a lot of spice and use the higher amounts given.
- 1 (16 ounce) can peaches, drain and diced small
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, see note
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup oatmeal, old fashioned or 1 cup quick oats, not instant
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together dry ingredients, stir in oats and peaches.
- Mix together eggs, oil and milk, stir into flour and mix gently just until flour is incorporated; don't over mix lumpy is ok.
- Pour into greased muffin cups - I dislike muffin papers - don't grease if you use them.
- Bake 15- 18 minutes until done and muffin springs bake when lightly touched.
- Note: Whole wheat pastry flour is easily found in most health food stores and some grocers, King Arthur White Wheat Flour is also good. Both of these give your muffins a lighter texture while still providing good nutrition.
- If using blueberries use about 1 1/2 cups.