Recipe by anonymous
This fantastic jam recipe originally came from a Better Homes and Gardens canning magazine, as did the tip about making peach bellini floats with it. I added the butter to help tame the foaming. Use your tallest stockpot for this recipe - even with the butter it foams up a lot! Do not increase the amount of butter as this could lower the acidity of your recipe too much and make it unsafe for canning. Bottled lemon juice has a more consistent acid level then fresh lemon juice and is the preferential choice for canning recipes. Cooking time listed is processing time and this will vary depending on your altitude (consult a trusted source such as the Ball Blue Book for an altitude adjustment chart).
Top Review by akprincess72
This was my first attempt at making jam or any other form of canning & it turned out great! It is a simple recipe, easy to follow. Due to my own tastes, I made one change & mostly pureed the peaches in the food pro. I was sidetracked by sterilizing my cans & actually put the Sure-Jell in a little too early & it still turned out great, I wish I had made more!!
- 7 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 cups finely chopped peeled and pitted peaches
- 1 cup prosecco (or any sparkling white wine)
- 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
- 3 ounces liquid pectin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, peaches, Prosecco and lemon juice in a very large stockpot. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves.
- Quickly stir in the pectin and return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir for 5 minutes to eliminate the foam and help evenly distribute the fruit throughout the jam.
- Fill hot, sterilized half pint canning jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace.
- Process jars in a boiling water bath canner for 5 minutes, adjusting for altitude.
- The jars may need to sit for up to 2 weeks before full gel is acheived.
- *To make a peach bellini float stir some of this jam into soda water and top with vanilla ice cream!