Recipe by Chef Au Vin
From the book White House Chef: Eleven Years, Two Presidents, One Kitchen by Chef Walter Scheib and Andrew Friedman.
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar (champagne, rice, or white)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon star anise, ground
- 3 ripe peaches, pitted and cut into 10 wedges each
- 3 ripe plums, pitted and cut into 8 wedges each
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the vinegar, honey, cilantro, oil, lime juice and zest, brown sugar, jalapeno, hot sauce, cinnamon, and anise in a large bowl; stir together until well incorporated and the sugar has dissolved.
- Gently fold in the peaches and plums and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper then serve.