Laura Bush's Carrot Muffins
Another recipe obtained from the White House web site.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil or 3/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded carrots
- 1⁄2 cup coarsley chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 12 muffin molds with paper cup liners.
- Combine flour, baking soda and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Place the eggs, oil, vanilla and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour mixture until combined.
- Stir in carrots and pecans.
- Fill cups 3/4 full.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean (approx 18-20 minutes).
- Cool in pan for about 5 minutes and invert the muffins into a rack.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Lovely flavor. Mine almost didn't rise at all, they came out barely any taller than when they went into the oven. I know that soda and sour together leaven but I think they could have used some baking powder as well. They were also quite oily. When I checked them at 15 mins there was oil bubbling up between the muffin and the paper liners, the paper muffin cups fell away from the muffins as they cooled. I used Splenda for the sugar but I always use it and it doesn't inhibit rising or fat absorption (which btw, did soak back into the muffins by the time they were completely cooled). Loved the cinnamon vanilla flavor with the carrot and pecans and I can only conclud that if they were good enough for the White House something was wrong in my batch somewhere.Reply