Recipe by Derf
Wonderful easy winter soup.
Top Review by Geema
This is not only a good winter soup, it's a good summer soup too, because it kept my kitchen cool and we had a delicious, simple meal. I followed Derf's instructions exactly, and only adjusted the seasoning by adding a tiny bit of cayenne pepper to the pot. At first I was concerned that there wasn't enough broth to completely cover the peas, and added a little more. It was a mistake; the amount that Derf listed would have been perfect. Mine was a bit thinner than we would have liked, but the soup was delicious and the flavor was terrific. Pea soup is good anytime.
- 8 ounces smoked sausage, cut lengthwise into halves, then cut into 1/2 pieces
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried split peas, sorted and rinsed
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat small fry pan over medium heat.
- Add sausage, cook 5 to 8 minutes or until browned.
- Drain well.
- Combine sausage and remaining ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 4 to 5 hours or until peas are tender.
- Turn off heat.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Cover and let stand 15 minutes to thicken.