Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Wonderful easy winter soup.
Make and share this Pea Soup With Sausage - Crock Pot recipe from Food.com.
- 8 ounces smoked sausage, cut lengthwise into halves, then cut into 1/2 pieces
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried split peas, sorted and rinsed
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Heat small fry pan over medium heat.
- Add sausage, cook 5 to 8 minutes or until browned.
- Drain well.
- Combine sausage and remaining ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 4 to 5 hours or until peas are tender.
- Turn off heat.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Cover and let stand 15 minutes to thicken.
This is not only a good winter soup, it's a good summer soup too, because it kept my kitchen cool and we had a delicious, simple meal. I followed Derf's instructions exactly, and only adjusted the seasoning by adding a tiny bit of cayenne pepper to the pot. At first I was concerned that there wasn't enough broth to completely cover the peas, and added a little more. It was a mistake; the amount that Derf listed would have been perfect. Mine was a bit thinner than we would have liked, but the soup was delicious and the flavor was terrific. Pea soup is good anytime.
Great! I too used turkey kielbasa. I used 6 Cups of broth, and used fresh marjoram instead of dried. This was very good and very easy. My husband loved it, and with the turkey kielbasa, it's much less fattening than the traditional ham bone version. Will be making this again and again!
This is great! I used 6c stock, 4 ribs celery, 4 carrots, and turkey kielbasa. Also, I cooked it on low for 6 hours. (I added the extra veggies just to use them up before they spoiled).