Recipe by WorkingMom2three
Classic pea soup.
Top Review by Boomette
Very yummy soup. I cooked it longer cause my peas weren't cooked through. So I needed to add more liquid. It turned out very yummy. And now I just saw that I forgot to add the milk. But it was very good without it. Thanks WorkingMom :) Made for I Recommend tag game
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 8 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 lb ham steak, cut into 1 inch pieces
- hot sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil.
- Add the onions.
- Season with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper.
- Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, bay leaf, and split peas and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the broth and ham.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium, and simmer stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or more, until the peas are tender.
- Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Add the milk and, using a hand-held blender or potato masher, process until smooth.
- Add the hot sauce if desired and serve hot.