Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe should start as 'Raise unsexed baby chickens for 6 months. When roosters become too loud for their immediate environment, carefully cull. Behead, pluck and gut.' Our roosters are free range chooks who are used to flying, foraging and generally having a very nice life. They are MUCH bigger than your typical commercially raised chicken - almost twice the size of a large commercial chicken and they have a much more gamey taste. Unfortunately singing with full throated joy like Pavarotti is not appropriate in suburbia, and when even a dark garden shed cannot contain the sound, it is reluctantly time for silence.
- 1 whole chicken, preferably freerange
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs
- 1 -2 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 -2 onion, peeled but whole
- Clean chicken.
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F/180 C.
- Mix oil, paprika, curry powder and mixed herbs together and carefully pour all over the chicken.
- Ensure that the chicken is thoroughly coated and rub the mix in if necessary.
- Add thyme and onion to interior of chicken.
- Roast in the oven until done.
- [Our chickens take about 1 1/2-3/4 hours but they are the size of a small turkey!]
I have to agree with both of these people. If you have never had a range chicken you do not know what you are missing. I also raise chicken like they are talking about and amlooking forward in useing this recipe. So I have to gave this a 5 star because she knows what a chicken is realy like. The chickens you get out of the store are no compareizen to these.
awesome recipe. i have raised chickens also. they outbeat the stores chickenn by size and wonderful taste. good job!!!!
Awesome name for a yummy dish. Its quick and easy to make. If you have left overs the next day, all the better. The kids inhaled it. I just wish I could raise chickens where I live, except the neighbors would probably complain to the authorities.