Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From The Lady and Sons Savannah Country Cookbook. I've made these several times and everyone goes nuts for them. Not for dieting purposes. ;-)
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable shortening (Crisco)
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and sugar using a fork.
- Cut in the shortening using a fork until the mixture looks like cornmeal.
- Add the cheese and then stir in the buttermilk all at once until the dough just comes together. Do not overmix.
- Use an ice cream scoop to drop the biscuits on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until biscuits are lightly browned.
I actually had these luscious biscuits at Paula Deen's Lady & Son's Restaurant in Savannah Georgia... They are WONDERFUL!