Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
- 3 lbs bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 lbs beef round steak, cut into 3-inch chunks
- 2 lbs lamb shoulder, cut into 3-inch chunks
- black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (leave the seeds in if you want more heat)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 cups beef broth or 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn kernels
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen lima beans
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce (or other hot sauce)
- Lightly season the chicken, beef, and lamb all over with salt and black pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over med-high heat until shimmering.
- Working in batches, brown the meats on all sides, about 7 minutes per batch.
- Drain the meats on a paper towel-lined baking sheet.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, and bell pepper to the pan.
- Cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the jalapeno and garlic; cook for 2 minutes.
- Return the beef and lamb to the pan (cover the chicken with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use).
- Stir in the broth or water, the crushed tomatoes and 1 tablespoon salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil; decrease heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Return the chicken to the pan; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and simmer until all the meats are very tender and shred easily with a fork, 45 minutes longer.
- Remove the chicken from the pan; once the chicken is cool enough to handle, pick the meat off the bones, discarding the bones and skin; shred the chicken and return to the pan.
- Stir in the corn, lima beans, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce.
- Simmer until the vegetables are hot and the stew reaches the thickness you like, 10-15 minutes.