Recipe by AmyZoe
I needed to use up some applesauce so I tried this recipe from Christmas with Paula Deen. I did sift my ingredients, but I didn't grate my own fresh nutmeg (there's a kitchen gadget to put on my list). I used real butter instead of shortening. The house smells delicious, and this is great with vanilla ice cream!
Top Review by qwkslver
I liked this recipe. I used margarine instead of shortening but otherwise same as the recipe. 45 minutes was a wee bit too long to bake in my oven. I will shave a few minutes off next time. Family loved it.
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 118.29 ml vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground cloves
- 2.46 ml nutmeg, freshly grated
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml chopped nuts
- 236.59 ml raisins
- 236.59 ml unsweetened applesauce
- confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a 13x9x2" baking pan.
- Cream together the granulated sugar and shortening until fluffy using an electric mixer.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir the raisins and nuts into the flour mixture.
- Add the flour mixture and applesauce alternately to the creamed mixture, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the center of the cake is firm to the touch.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.