Prep 48 hrs
Cook 30 mins
My stepmother usually has to make two of these cakes at a time. It may take two days to make but it takes no time for it to vanish from the table!
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 38 ounces coconut
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip (Not lite or Fat Free)
- 1 (18 ounce) box white cake mix (Duncan Hines preferred)
- 3 egg whites (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- Mix 16 oz sour cream, 16 oz coconut, and the 2 cups of powdered sugar together and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Bake the cake mix as directed in 2 layer pans.
- When the cake is cool split the 2 layers and fill them with the sour cream mixture.
- Ice the cake then with the cool whip and the other 16 oz of coconut.
- Put the cake back in the refrigerator for at least another 24 hours.
Oh my goodness, this cake was way too yummy! Made it for Easter and everyone loved it. (Did use fat free sour cream and lite cool whip though)
I love this cake! So did my whole family. I made it for Christmas and it was devoured. I actually got the recipe from a family friend. I added more Cool Whip bc I'm not a huge fan of sour cream. Delicious!
I made this cake for my Mom's birthday. It was so good it took my breath away and hers! Wow! AMAZING cake! I didn't have a white cake mix, so I used a coconut flavored one. It still turned out fabulous!