Sour Cream Coconut Cake
- Ready In:
1 3 layer cake
- Grease three 8" round cake pans; line bottoms of pans with wax paper. Grease and flour wax paper; set aside.
- Beat shortening at medium speed of an electric mixer until soft and creamy; gradually add sugar; beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Combine flours; add to shortening mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix at low speed after each addition until blended. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 22 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; peel off wax paper.
- Immediately spread 1 cup frosting between each layer; spread remaining frosting on the top and sides of cake. Let cool completely.
- Frosting: Combine 2 cups sugar, frozen coconumt, sour cream and lemon extract in a medium bowl, stirring until blended.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was good, I love coconut cake, and loved the lemon in the frosting. I only had 9" pans, so I made two layers. The frosting was too sweet for me so next time I will use powdered sugar (not as sweet) instead of granulated. In fact, I have never used granulated sugar in frosting unless it was cooked, but it was a fun experiment, nonetheless! Thanks for posting, made for newest recipe zaar, 2012