1/14 Photos of Pastiera With Strawberry Sauce - Easter Ricotta Cake
1 hr 40 mins
I hunted through a dozen pages of recipes to make sure this was not duplicating, couldn't find one like it. This is an incredible cake--light, creamy-like custard, flavoured lightly with vanilla, all in one. The perfect Easter pastiera, originally from Martha Stewart Living.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 quart whole milk
- 3/4 cup arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- unsalted butter, for pan
- all-purpose flour, for pan
- 3 lbs fresh ricotta cheese, drained 3 hours, preferably over night, through cheesecloth
- 3 large eggs, plus
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Strawberry or Raspberry sauce
- 1Bring milk to a boil in a large sauce pan over medium high heat.
- 2Stir in rice, cinnamon, salt and vanilla bean.
- 3Reduce heat to medium low, cook, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until rice is very tender and has absorbed all liquid, about 30 minutes.
- 4Remove pan from heat, stir in 3/4 cup granulated sugar, cover, let cool, stirring occasionally.
- 5Discard vanilla bean.
- 6Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
- 7Butter and flour an 8-inch springform pan.
- 8In a large bowl, fold together, the rice mixture, ricotta, whole eggs and egg yolks, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar, very carefully using a rubber spatula.
- 9Pour into prepared pan.
- 10Bake until golden, 65 to 70 minutes, cover with foil if starting to brown too much.
- 11Transfer pan to cooling rack.
- 12When cake has cooled completely, run a knife around edge to loosen.
- 13Gently remove ring; transfer cake to a serving plate.
- 14Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, and serve at room temperature with sauce.
- 16Combine all ingredients in a medium nonreactive saucepan.
- 17Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until berries are soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 18Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pastiera With Strawberry Sauce - Easter Ricotta Cake
Serving Size: 1 (216 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.9
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 128.6 mg
- Sodium 183.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 21.7 g
- Protein 14.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: