Recipe by Derf
I hunted through a dozen pages of recipes to make sure this was not duplicating, couldn't find one like it. This is an incredible cake--light, creamy-like custard, flavoured lightly with vanilla, all in one. The perfect Easter pastiera, originally from Martha Stewart Living.
Top Review by whatshouldimakeforsupper
I made this for Easter adn brought it to my Italian in-laws.. they loved it! I used vanilla and baked it much longer(prob. because I didn't drain the ricotta) until it started to brown slighty around th edges of the top. I didn't make the sauce-it was great without it, but will try it next time. Excellent cake, you won't be disappointed!
- 1 quart whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- unsalted butter, for pan
- all-purpose flour, for pan
- 3 lbs fresh ricotta cheese, drained 3 hours, preferably over night, through cheesecloth
- 3 large eggs, plus
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Strawberry or Raspberry sauce
- 1 pint fresh strawberries or 1 pint raspberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring milk to a boil in a large sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Stir in rice, cinnamon, salt and vanilla bean.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cook, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until rice is very tender and has absorbed all liquid, about 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, stir in 3/4 cup granulated sugar, cover, let cool, stirring occasionally.
- Discard vanilla bean.
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
- Butter and flour an 8-inch springform pan.
- In a large bowl, fold together, the rice mixture, ricotta, whole eggs and egg yolks, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar, very carefully using a rubber spatula.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake until golden, 65 to 70 minutes, cover with foil if starting to brown too much.
- Transfer pan to cooling rack.
- When cake has cooled completely, run a knife around edge to loosen.
- Gently remove ring; transfer cake to a serving plate.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, and serve at room temperature with sauce.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium nonreactive saucepan.
- Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until berries are soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.